Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Writing Process


Joonspoon. "A female programmer writing Java code with JUnit". 9/4/2014 via Wikipedia.
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License


My writing process is usually most similar to the heavy planner writing style. I focus on writing and typically do not get distracted until I get stuck somewhere in the paper, but once I have my first draft redone I do not visit it again as often or as thoroughly as I should.


I can procrastinate, but I know this about myself and try to work against it as much as possible. I have also tried to devote my time equally between parts of writing, however, I usually get distracted during the revising process or lose motivation to finish, something else I try to combat.


Most of the time, the heavy planning process works for me in writing papers because I can produce a paper that I can be mostly satisfied with the first time. I am usually thinking about what I am going to write beforehand, so when it comes time to write I can crank out a paper. On the downside, this style limits me from improving my writing skills because I am not going back and reworking my papers.


Furthermore, this writing style means that if I miss something in my brief revisions, it gets stuck in my final draft without my notice. In order to develop my writing more so than it already is, I need to incorporate aspects of a heavy revisor into my drafts. Doing so will help me better understand how to write a more effective argument.


Reflection:

After reading through some of my classmates blogs I learned that a lot of people have similar problems to what I face during writing. This made me feel a little more settled about being in an honors English class, and helped make me feel a little more secure in my own writing. I know that I have a lot of work to do and that I will have to change up my style to improve, and reading about how my classmates work gave me some ideas on how to write differently. I usually don't like to write often, but reading through these different styles and techniques has made me think about how interesting writing will be if I do it in a different way. It won't be repetitive or boring, because I'll be doing something new.

The two posts I commented on were Alex's and Jon's.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joy! I can definitely relate to your writing process. In fact, I do not really struggle to relate to anything that you said in your post. I, too, display characteristics of a Heavy Planner. Unfortunately, my motto with drafts is pretty much "one and done."

    The biggest piece of advice that I can offer you with respect to writing is to have at least one other person edit your paper as well. A fresh mind that has no idea what to expect from your paper will often times catch mistakes that you would miss no matter how many times you read it over. I have learned this from experience; peer editing has boosted my grades substantially whenever I have utilized it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am a student in another section of Bottai's 109H english. I have three follow up questions based on what you wrote for this blog post.
    1. After taking this class, have you incorporated some aspect of the "heavy writer" writing style into your own writing style?
    2. Did peer editing throughout this class help you with wanting to revise your own writing, and maybe not missing some mistakes that make it into your final drafts?
    3. Did writing so many blog posts help you as a heavy planner or did it hinder your process as you maybe would have wanted to do your own planning techniques?

    ReplyDelete