Sunday, November 22, 2015

Reflection on Project 3

Below I will be thinking and writing about my last project, and the success and weaknesses of the revision process. To do this, I will be answering some questions from "Writing Public Lives."

Elyssa Antonelle. "fist bump baby." 12/6/2010 via Flicker.
Public Domain
  1. In my final version, I changed some parts of the intro and one of my main arguments. I added more key words to identify my audience in the beginning, that way my article will be more clear from the first sentence. I also added more argumentation in my paragraph about the standard's language being mostly the same. I clarified my argument here, making sure to say why common core is still better even if it is so similar. I also added some links within the article for further reading or context. 
  2. I didn't reorganize my paragraphs, but I did reconsider my thesis goal for my second argument. I wanted to make sure I was clear on what I was saying in regards to my thesis, so added more in this section. 
  3. I added these changes because of m audience. When peer reviewed, they both got confused at this section, leading me to believe my audience would too. So I beefed it up to make what I meant clear. 
  4. I am willing to admit that my argument was flawed because of how unclear it was, and as a writer being able to admit that and fix it adds to my credibility. 
  5. These changes make the audience feel more targeted in the beginning, better connected them to the paper and piquing their interest. And later in the paper, the more clear argument will help them understand my point more. 
  6. In various parts of my paper, I changed the short sentences to longer ones. Originally I wanted short sentences (in some areas) to add emphasis, but I think this made it too choppy. I fixed some of these to make the paper flow better. 
  7. Clarifying my argument helps them see what I am arguing for, pro common core or why it is good. Otherwise, they would be confused at this paragraph. 
  8. I did consider it again when looking at my peer reviews, in regards to length and hyperlinking. Lia suggested that I add more arguments, but I think that I would want this to e a shorter, more direct piece. I feel that, especially for my audience, a shorter and sweeter paper would be more effective at holding their attention ad convincing them. I instead focused on making what I had better. Some of the examples I have up have hyperlinks, but some may only have one or two. This is why I originally only had one, but Allison suggested that it would make my argument stronger to have more, which I agreed with. I went in and added more to provide more context, examples, and further reading. 
  9. Reflection lets me think about how I changed over a writing assignment, and add those changes in work style to my future writing routine. As a writer, this means that I am learning each time and adding to my writing arsenal each project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment