Saturday, September 19, 2015

Reflection on Project 1 Draft

In this post I will be reviewing some important points about my QRG draft.

photosteve101. "Metallic Ballpen Tips." February 5, 2011 via Flickr.
Public Domain. 
First off, I peer reviewed Chad's paper and Stef's paper.

Audience

  • This assignment will mainly be read by my classmates, and finally my teacher. If I were to publish the document, general public would read it. This would most likely include teachers, parents, or students because it relates to these groups specifically. 
  • My classmates expectations are that I follow the conventions and write a fairly unbiased and informative piece. I believe that I am adequately meeting those expectations, as I feel I have followed the conventions pretty well while writing my paper. 
  • I think the amount of information needed varies by topic. For me, I wanted to include a brief paragraph giving an explanation, but include links in that paragraph so that if the audience needs to know more they can do that without my document being bogged down with unnecessary information. 
  • This audience expects an informal tone, so the text shouldn't be total slang, but it doesn't have to use scholarly words or phrases either. I can use direct language to get my point across, instead of flowery phrases that are confusing but sound good. 
  • I think the tone should me mostly casual and informative, like a friend is explaining a lecture to someone. I believe that for the most part I use this type of tone throughout my draft. 

Context

  • The formatting requirements of the document follow an informal style that includes links and pictures relevant to the topic in each section. I think that for the most part, my QRG followed these conventions and displayed most of them throughout. I didn't cite like a scholarly paper, and wrote the QRG for a general audience. 
  • Content wise, I needed to find a controversy in my field and explain it in depth. I found one (common core math standards) and presented both sides in my QRG. 
  • Before the class, I had no idea that the style of writing articles use (QRG) was even a thing. I never really realized that I could write something this way and be considered credible. So yes, I did use things I learned in class to make my draft. 
  • I've tried to look for grammatical issues and fixed some wordings that my classmate pointed out to me, but I'm sure that more will pop up as I continue working in the document. 
Overall, I need to edit some things in my paper to keep clarity, but otherwise have managed to stick to the expectations of a QRG pretty well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment