Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

There can be many different audiences for different types of writing. Below, I will be analyzing my audience, new students in my major, for this rhetorical essay.

Unsplash. "Audience, Crowd, People..." 5-17-2015 via Pixabay.
Public Domain. 

  1. Who am I writing for? What are the audience's beliefs and assumptions?
    1. I am writing for a new group of students in my major who need to know how to write rhetorical essays. They may believe that there are no issues to write about, or they may think that in this major they will never have to write an essay, since it is mostly math. 
  2. What position might they take on this issue? How will I need to respond to this position?
    1. Since they are just learning from me how to write an essay, there isn't much of an opposition that they can take. They may not agree with my style or a certain thing that I do in my writing, but otherwise my piece is simply an example to them .
  3. What will they want to know?
    1. They will want to know how to analyze other's work and write an essay on it. 
  4. How might they react to my argument?
    1. They may disagree with whether or not my author is credible/effective, but that will not take away from the example aspect of the essay. Most would probably use this as a resource to reference when writing their own analytical essays. 
  5. How am I trying to relate or connect with my audience?
    1. Since we are all in the same major, that is how we connect. I would hope to connect with them through my writing on a subject they are also interested in. 
  6. Are there specific words, ideas, or modes of presentation that will help me relate to them in this way?
    1. In education articles are very prevalent, as well as essays, so this format and example will fit right in with what they are wanting to do. 

Reflection:
After reading Chad and Austin's posts, I felt good about the answers I gave in mine. I think it was easy to respond to those questions because we were given a very specific audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment