Saturday, October 17, 2015

Punctuation, Part 1

Punctuation can often be used in wrong ways without people knowing it. For the post below, I will be reading about punctuation and explaining a few things I learned about what I read.

OpenClipArtVendors. "Interrogation." 2013 via pixabay.
Public Domain
1. The Comma
 This section discussed when to use commas in various situations. For example, a comma should be used to separate lists, and in general to stop confusion while reading. I never quite knew if it was okay to omit a comma between the last two words in a list, and this section also cleared that up for me as well. (Most experts say to use that comma). I also learned not to use a comma before starting a list, as that might break up the sentence in an awkward sounding way.

2. The Semicolon
I have always struggled with knowing exactly when to use a semicolon, but this section discussed when and how to use one. One of the main things I learned was that a semicolon could be placed with a conjunction, if there are other punctuation in the first clause. This makes it sound more weighted while reading, making it easier on the reader. I also learned that to use a comma in place of a semicolon would most likely create a run on sentence, so now I know to watch out for that while writing.

3. The Colon
This section describes when to use colons, which should be lists, quotations, or summaries. It was a god refresher to read this one, especially since I didn't know all of it. One fact the book brought up was that a colon could be used to separate a quote, and it had never occurred to me to do that before. Some other rules included are: don't use a colon between a verb and its object, remember to use a colon in conventions, and make sure to place it after the independent clause in order to make sense.


Reflection: 
I peer reviewed Carrie and Gabee's drafts for project 2.

Carrie's paper made me think more about the use of commas. I noticed that some of her sentences were run ons, but when I reread those sentences I could still understand completely what she was trying to say. I think that makes it hard to realize you are writing a run on sentence, especially since our thoughts are a steam of words. Here's the excerpt from her draft:

"Parry’s recognition that proponents of the genetic engineering ban have a valid point in fearing the worst from people is necessary to show that she not only recognizes the other side’s claims but also respects the reasoning behind them."

While reading Gabee's draft, I didn't notice a lot of punctuation error. She may have made some short/choppy paragraphs, but overall her punctuation was good throughout. Here's an example of one of her longer sentences with commas:

"Because he projected his intellect, yet still made the article easy to understand, his audience was broadened and his message will be able to get across to a lot more people."

No comments:

Post a Comment