Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

Similar to the previous post, below I will be analyzing cultural assumptions that I have about the text by answering questions from Writing Public Lives. 


Kosik, Joy. Screenshot of Questions from Writing Public Lives. 10-3-2015. 

  1. I agree with most of what Kessler talked about in his article, "Our 19th Century Curriculum." I believe that education does need to change, as he does, and mainly support Common Core as a result. I think these values have endured because changing education is a slow process, and so the need for change has not really been met fully until now, when this new curriculum is being adopted in many states. 
  2. I don't agree with Kessler in regards to college as it is now. Yes, it may be failing for some students who re unemployed after they graduate, but Kessler makes it sound like college is useless as a whole until all of education changes. I think higher education is important, especially if someone's goal is to advance in a career. 
  3. Kessler's article is only three years old, so many of the cultural aspects in this topic are the same. I would say that a major difference is the attention changing education is getting, because now it is actually happening while back then people were mostly just talking about change. Today, there is a lot of controversy in this field about changing education curriculum, most of which is about Common Core. This debate over change was present in 2012 as well, when Kessler's article was released, but Common Core has gained a lot more attention since then, so the topic is more widely discussed. 
  4. The only aspects that have changed over the past few years are the amount of people who are interested in changing (or not changing) education. Some of the ideas about making changes developed into Common Core, and those who oppose now have something specific to fight. 
I have a really strong opinion on this topic, which would be hard to ignore while analyzing a text if that text supported what I don't believe. I think I got lucky in that Kessler's argument I mostly agree with, and I think that my bias may give me an easier time of readig the article multiple times and breaking it down in different areas. 

Reflection: 
After reading Gabee and Jon's posts, I felt more validated in picking an article with my view points. I think it will also help to have something pretty specific, in that it led to a specific event (Common Core). This only thing I need to remember is that while writing about my actual analysis I need to put my bias aside. If Kessler did something bad in his writing or something is wrong, I can't let my own bias get in the way of including that. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you included in your reflection that your support of the author's opinion could also affect how you analyze the rhetorical questions. Both agreeing with the author and disagreeing are going to both hinder the clarity to see a writer's rhetorical techniques. Nice job also finding things that you could agree with and disagree with, I think this will give you a more balanced view.

    ReplyDelete